Recently we posted some workouts with a sandbag, and mentioned the other KING when it comes to easy ways to train hard – kettlebells.
Love or hate them, kettlebells can be invaluable when it comes to building unbreakable bodies. Therefore I decided to put it back to business with this week’s OCR wod: kettlebell leg day routine. This is a recipe to get chicken legs prone to injuries to transform into full on tree trunks.
Basic protocol goes as follows:
- Kettlebell front squats. As heavy as you can. You can also use 2 kettlebells or a sandbag; 4 sets of 8 repetitions.
- Kettlebell lunges. As heavy as you can. You will need two kettlebells to perform this; 4 sets of 8 repetitions.
- Single leg deadlifts with a kettlebell. Focus on balance and good form – go light on this one; 5 sets of 5 repetitions on each leg.
- BOSU single leg holds (see demo below). Start by standing still and bending one of the legs in front of you. Hold for 3 times of 30-60secs on each leg.
- BONUS: Ye Olde Planks. 3 x 1 minute holds for beginners. 5-10 x 1 minute hold for advanced athletes. Personally like to ‘collect’ the minutes by aiming to add up plank session to get to a specific time. For example: 15minutes of planking in total.
Would you like to receive weekly workout highlights like this straight into your inbox? Request them here.